About

My photo
Rural Kilbeg, Meath, Ireland
I'm just a country lad up in the big smoke trying to go to college

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Meeting with a stranger

Well,

Today I had strange encounter with an odd couple in Dublin on my way to get the bus home to the countryside I call home.
As I was walking down to the station a couple approached me. They were shuffling as though they were on something unnatural. As I got closer to them the man looked at me and said in his thick Dublin accent "are you'ez from Dublin". Most people can tell by the head on me I'm not but I had to do this gentleman the honor of opening my mouth. Once he heard my accent he wondered "are you from Sligo or that" I didn't want to lecture him so said yes. He then informed me "I ave an aunt in Ko-line-y so I do". I failed to see how this was related so presumed he thought "ko-line-y" was in Sligo. I didn't want to teach him a geography lesson so I nodded. Then came the inevitable question "Can you give me some money pleaz cos I need it for the bus" . I reckon by the time he finished that sentence I was already half-way home.

You see us culchies may seen like twinkly eyed eejits high stepping our way around the world covered in muck, eating raw meat off the animals we find in the fields but that's only half true. One thing that is true is this though you'd have more luck getting milk from a bull or selling rosary beads to the pope than you would getting money out of a culchie. When we get money they howld on to it for dear life.

So if you meet me I'll have grand auld chat with ya but ya needn't ask me for a penny because you won't get it high.

Bye now

No comments: