About

My photo
Rural Kilbeg, Meath, Ireland
I'm just a country lad up in the big smoke trying to go to college

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

MGS4 Review

I had to do a summary of an article for my coarse about something technological so I did the one down yonder hope ye enjoy.

Below is a review of a game for the Playstation three called Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots (from here on MGS4) from http://ps3.ign.com/articles/877/877611p1.html


Now many people think of games as silly trivial things but this game in was produced and directed by Mr. Hideo Kojima it wasn’t easy and it took along time to get to this point in fact he has been making the MGS series since 1987. Games have come along way since then and have become an entertainment medium now almost rivalling film’s and movies, in fact in MGS4 there are well over fifty voice actors. And that only this game the three games preceding this one all have numerous voice actors as well. David Hayter has provided the voice of Solid Snake since the game first appeared on the Playstation console in MGS 1 in1998.
MGS4 is the finale instalment of the Metal Gear Solid series. I have played the three previous titles and it’s sad to see it coming to an end. The graphic are amazing Hideo Kojima makes use of every piece of storage on the Blu-Ray (Sony’s new fancy dual layered disk) disk. This leads to vivid colours and rich textures to give at times jaw-dropping graphics.
Now I’m not going to ruin the story for you because believe me it’s far too important to enjoying the game. It really is like a movie, and like all good movies you don’t have to know what happened in the previous titles to enjoy it, but if you do it really adds a different dimension to it. There are some very long cut-scenes ( in game videos explaining the plot ) but they never feel too long as they just get better and better and more entertaining with each one. And you can skip them if you wish.
The controls are similar to the old game with a few minor tweaks such as at certain point you tilt the controller and use Sony’s new SIXAXIS system ( tilt recognition ) to look out of dust bins or lockers. However they are very intuitive and after a while you are pushing buttons without thinking.
How you approach each situation is up to you, maybe go in all guns blazing (weapons are upgradeable by the way) or you sneak around instead it’s all up to the player and their personal style. There is a lot of variety and a few twists and turns in the story along the way mean you have to try each one at least once.
The attention to detail is unbelievable Snake ages subtlety as the game progresses for example and music from the previous game’s plays in the background at various moments. Not to mention the flash-backs when Snake see’s something or someone from a previous game. By the way every loose tie from all the previous games are explained in full and the plot fully explained.
Now nearly every website or magazine that has reviewed it has given it near faultless reviews and I would too but don’t take my words for it go and play it. This is something that has to be experienced not read about, you can’t appreciate how good this is till you experience it first hand. Hopefully from reading you will do just that and go play this game.

7 comments:

172-Premiership-Goals said...

ive heard very good tings about this game

cormac said...

Aww I love MGS!!
Brillient choice of something to write on man. Wish I thought of it.

Kieva-shaped said...

As much as I was confused by this i'm once again impressed on the length, you culchies put a lot of effort into these things don't yee ;) xx

SarahMac said...

Culchie's all the way lorcan!
Some review!
:)

Lorcan S said...

Firstly Kieva thanks, secondly sorry I confused you and thirdly culchies don't put "alot" of effort into anything we plough into it high.

Sarah, thank you my fellow culchie

Anonymous said...

sorry but this is terrible. the first mg game was in 1987. people like you ruin this planet.

Lorcan S said...

Sorry Mr. or Ms. Anonymous I have now edited my post and fixed the post. All is safe. Thanks for telling me when I was writing it I just asked my friend instead of using google. I've learned my lesson anyway so disaster averted.